Thursday, November 11, 2010

Embracing The Natural

No, I don't mean my hair. My hair hasn't had a chemical service since February 2008. In the years since, I've been slowly figuring out the natural hair landscape, in terms of my hair care products. First I banned petroleum products from my moisturisers, stylers and gels. Then, I banned 'cones (although I do love me some amodimethicone from time to time now, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, yeah!!). I'm now taking a hard look at all unpronounceable ingredients in my hair care products.



I realise that over the past couple days, my fine,thin, porous hair has been looking fluffy, bouncy, and SHINY. What have I been doing differently? Well, I left home last week, only expecting to be gone a few days - so of course I only packed my 'bare bones' supplies. I didn't even pack my foundation (I must have been CRAZY!) All I packed for my hair was a bottle of jojoba oil. C'est tout!

I shampooed the roots with my boyfriend's shampoo (cringing all the way), and used a tiny bit of his Garnier Sleek n Shine 3-minute masque as a leave-in. I wanted to do a DC but he warned me against finishing his jar of product so I didn't. I then twisted with a mix of aloe-vera gel that I picked up from the health food store, and coconut oil from his kitchen.

I would never have expected such minimal product use to yield such awesome results! Definition, shine all without being weighed down. My hair definitely loves AVG, and definitely responds to the 'less is more' doctrine.

And now I'm wondering - do I even need all these 5-syllable ingredients in my products to give me great results? Or can I simplify my routine down to some plants, oils and water?

I think I'm ready for the next phase in my natural hair journey - eliminating 'commercial' products. It will be a slow process, but I'm already started. Flaxseed gel is a great replacement for my IC Fantasia. And away I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment